Welcome!

New Here? Welcome!You will want to subscribe to our free email updates from Franklin Farm Herbals! Please scroll down to see our latest news, and a list of topics.

Thursday 17 May 2012

This Weekend

Well! After last weekend's super start to the season, I imagine things will be somewhat less busy. 
This weekend, along with my herbal preparations, goat milk soaps, preserves and honey, there is asparagus, rhubarb and apple mint. By next weekend, I am hoping that lettuce will be available for picking. Some of the seedlings will also be coming out, but most of my tomato and pepper plants won't be large enough for sale until the last weekend in May.

I will start planting the Square Foot gardens this evening, I hope to have them fully planted and seeded by the end of the weekend.  Then the rest of the Herb Gardens and finally Tomato and Peppers by the end of next week.  I am planting 12 different types of Heirloom Tomatoes and 10 different Lettuces, all sorts of peppers too; Hot Orange Thai Peppers, Chocolate, Green and Red Sweet Peppers, Hungarian Paprika and some other interesting varieties, both hot and sweet.  My tomatoes will be in every colour, from white, pink, yellow, red, brown and black!  Some of my tomato plants are already in flower and so I am hoping the end of June will be the start of my tomato harvest.

From my 2011 Square Foot Gardens 
 
Also by the end of June, the Herb Gardens should be in full production and I will be giving weekly "Garden Side" talks on Herb growing, drying, oil and vinager making as well as lectures on Herbal Medicinals for common ailments.  Soon the shop and my drying shed will be full of herbs hanging from the roof and drying on screens! Please come in and check out the shop and gardens.