Welcome!

New Here? Welcome!You will want to subscribe to our free email updates from Franklin Farm Herbals! Please scroll down to see our latest news, and a list of topics.

Friday 22 March 2013

It's Here!

Earth teach me to forget myself as melted snow forgets its life. Earth teach me resignation as the leaves which die in the fall. Earth teach me courage as the tree which stands all alone. Earth teach me regeneration as the seed which rises in the spring.

 Ok, it's official, spring is come, the baby pine cones, the tomato seedlings, even my wild monarda has sprouted!

These tomato seeds (Box Car Willies) are just some of 12 heirloom varieties I have started.  These particular amazing tomatoes are drought resistant, have fantastic flavour and high yields of up to 1 pound fruits.  I am hoping to have some of these plants available for sale in early - mid May.

I have started and am hopeful that the 15 varieties of peppers will also be ready for about that time.  This


year I am excited to have found some actual Tobasco Pepper  seeds, the ones usually only grown for the Tobasco Sauce company in Georgia.  I will be mixing them with some other peppers, a beautiful black smokey flavoured pepper from Hungary and a sweet hot orange pepper from Thailand to make my own signature fermented pepper sauce.  In August I will be offering a course in how to make your own fermented pepper sauce using your harvest. 

I will be starting most of my other herbs and garden flowers that need an early start next week.  The seedlings will be moved to the greenhouse and that is probably where you will find me most of the time starting after Easter. 

By early May, I should have asparagus, rhubarb and some super mixed bags of lettuce along with fresh eggs and honey.  The shop will be ready and I am hoping my first Gardenside Talk will take place in Mid-May as well.

Next week look for a blog on spring tonics, it's time to regenerate ourselves as well!

1 comment:

Suzanne-KawarthaMums said...

Looking forward to finding out more!