Welcome!

New Here? Welcome!You will want to subscribe to our free email updates from Franklin Farm Herbals! Please scroll down to see our latest news, and a list of topics.

Friday 16 May 2014

New at Franklin Farm Herbals and Market




"The smell of good bread baking, like the sound of lightly flowing water, is indescribable in its evocation of innocence and delight." --M.F.K. Fisher
Recently I decided to add a small amount of home baking to Franklin Farm Herbals and Market.  Not a lot, just muffins, chocolate and vanilla fudge, my own bread recipe which I've developed over the years.  I thought it would add an extra dimension to the shop.

I started looking into ingredients specifically types of flour.  I use unbleached white flour usually.  I just dislike bleached flour, I don't believe there's any real reason to add bleach to flour just so it is a little bit whiter.    Chlorine gas, chlorine dioxide and benzoyl peroxide are usually what is used.  Potassium bromate was also used, however it has been banned in many countries because it is a carcinogen.
Bleaching flour also lessens the amount of protein in the bread, making it even less healthy and more processed.

On  store-bought bread labels there are at least 10 ingredients and as it turns out the cheaper the bread the more ingredients, most of them you can't pronounce let alone understand what they are or what they do.    Mostly they stop the bread from going bad or make it extra gooey.

My bread has five ingredients, flour, water, yeast, sugar, salt.   You don't have to add the sugar, but it isn't much and it makes the yeast work better.  You also don't have to add the salt, but I like a little sea salt or kosher salt for the flavour.  You can also use any flour, as I said, I generally use unbleached white, but
have found a source of organic Red Fyfe  which I love.  The flavour is amazing, the bread has a lot of fibre and the colour is beautiful.  This is the flour our grandparents baked with and it almost became extinct.  But this simple recipe can be adapted to rye, whole wheat, gluten free flours.  It is all in the proportions .

People say they don't have time to make their own bread..  This is a super easy almost no knead bread.  It takes literally five minutes to mix together and you can let it rise ll day if you have to.  I let it rise for two hours, punch it down and stick it in the fridge until I am ready to make it.  This recipe will be fine in the fridge for up to ten days.

 I will be offering this as a mini course with a garden tour  Wednesday evening June 4th, 7 pm.  The cost is 20.00 and everyone goes home with enough dough for two large loaves.  Plus I will put some in the oven
so we can have a snack.

Registration is limited to six people at a time, so call or  email me.  Participants will have to bring a large bowl of their own.  Unbleached white, whole wheat and red Fyfe flours will be available.    If you would like to see my bread, check out my Face Book page, Franklin Farm Herbals & Market, I can't seem to upload a photo here.




No comments: